A: Mold is a type of fungus that decomposes plant and animal matter
in the environment. The fungus can grow almost anywhere that has
moisture and organic material, such as on soil, in food, and on plants.
Mold reproduces by generating spores, which can spread through the
air, water, or on animals.
A: Mold can grow in moist areas of your house like the basement or
bathroom. Mold might also form around a shower vent or on a damp
windowsill. Mold thrives in dark, hard-to-see areas such as behind
walls, under the floor, in the attic, and inside the HVAC system. As
mold colonies grow, the spores become airborne and spread.
A: Knowing the warning signs of mold will help you detect it before it
becomes a serious issue. Signs of mold in homes include a musty odor
and visible black spots on your walls, ceilings, or floors. They can
create respiratory issues or allergic-type reactions for the people
spending time in your home. If anyone in your family has symptoms
inside the home that disappear when they are outside, mold may be
A: When mold is disturbed, it releases spores into the air. Air
containing these mold spores can put you at greater exposure. Mold
can also be transmitted by touching moldy objects or eating moldy
food.Q: How much mold exposure is harmful?
A: Mold exposure levels do not have a government standard.
Everyone’s tolerance for mold exposure varies. No two people are
alike. The elderly, young children, and those with weakened immune
systems are usually the most vulnerable to mold.
A: Individuals suffering from mold sensitivity may experience
symptoms such as sneezing, runny or stuffy noses, coughing, itchy
eyes, wheezing, and irritation of the skin. Exposure to mold can also
cause asthmatic symptoms, including coughing, wheezing, shortness
of breath, and tightness in the chest. Mold can also cause allergic-like
A: Testing for mold involves taking samples of either the air or of
surfaces. A mold inspector examines the air or surface to determine
what kind of mold is present and whether it can grow in the area.
A: The following are some reasons you should hire mold testing
Your home has been affected by water damage.
Your family is suffering from health problems you suspect might
be caused by mold.
You notice mold or signs that mold is present.
Sentry Home Inspections at 229 449-8482.